Match reports

Saturday, May 5th

The new season dawned with a home game to Preston Bissett, six weeks of dry weather turned into typical season-opening weather and left the square a little damp but pleasingly flat for the first use. Norton lost the toss and were asked to bat. Early season rustiness saw the openers out for very few. New boy Tom Zernike was having a dip with no success but a lot of luck. He appeared to be suffering with jet lag after his trip from Oz. He's clearly not used to our early season slow wickets . Soon however he started to make contact with the ball and began hitting it pretty hard. His 63, consisting of ten 4s and three 6s, was well worth watching.

Andre Bodily looked on from the other end and eventually started in his own inimitable way to emulate Zernike. Once Tom was out Bodily and Robinson moved the score on rapidly with Dave Robinson matching Bod run for run until he fell for 41 with Bodily out soon afterwards for 50. The tail then wagged with Allen (normally an opener) moving to an apparently effortless 24 not out and Dave Wilson rushing to 20 off 5 balls before missing one. The score of 236 for 9 seemed pretty strong on a pitch that was difficult to bat on.

Preston started slowly and stayed that way. Their openers made little headway against a fast, straight opening spell from Wilson and Simon Fleming. Wickets, however, did not start to fall until the first change when Neil Taylor came on. The batsmen could see the ball but could not wait for it to get to them, thrashing it to fielders in all parts. Taylor's 5-42 was a triumph of variation over pace.

Preston subsided to 129 all out with solid performances by all the Norton side. The result displayed excellence and commitment all round. Even the fielding was special with an outstanding catch at silly mid off from Cliff Davidson and fielders diving around everywhere. The current skipper (Adam Holton) and his immediate predecessor (Chris Bowmer) both expressed the hope that the spirit and commitment last the season.

Saturday, May 12th

I'm afraid most of our readers will have worked out by now that the week's rainfall washed out our scheduled home derby match against Silverstone. Given the weather we've had during March and April, there is a certain amount of irony in such an outcome! You may, however, view the current league table where Greens Norton sits proudly in second place without having bowled a ball this weekend.

Saturday, May 19th

After a week of rain the first away match of the season at Preston Capes was a relief, a short shower just before match time saw the wicket rather damp but at least flat. Stand in skipper, Pete Allen, only needed to win the toss but failed and we were put into bat to contend with uncertain weather and pitch. Norton started slowly against sharp bowling from Preston's opener, J. Wilson, (possibly related to Dave, but no-one seemed certain). His first 7 overs went for only 8 runs with Dave Robinson taking most of the strike at this end. At the other end skipper Allen was happier facing the poor sod running into the perennial gale up the hill and scored 25 of the first 31. Robinson, meanwhile, was doing what he needed to do and stay there.

When Allen went as a result of good bowling from J. Wilson, Boony (Michael O'Connor) came in and started in what has become his traditional bludgeoning style. Even with his power and distance it was still, for the most part, not enough to get the ball to the boundary. This seemed, at least on one side, like it was located in Buckinghamshire. Between them, with 68 runs, Boony and Bod (Andre Bodily) hit only 5 boundaries. Anybody who has seen these two bat will realise you the immense task required to score runs. Sadly for Norton the outfield and the wicket got dryer, faster and easier all day. Once Bod was out with the score at 118 Norton collapsed. A hatrick from Preston veteran Derek Bull saw the unlucky Bod caught in High Wycombe, the traditional backward movement from Fleming seeing him trapped LBW and the nerves of debutant Ollie Drage seeing him out first ball. Lusty blows from Dave Wilson and a few scrambled singles saw Norton to 150 for 9 - a disappointment but, in view of the conditions, it was worth 200.

Then the highlight of the day arrived in the shape of a stunning tea with smoked salmon sandwiches and some of the best cakes of the year, who wants to field?

Shorn of our regular keeper (with Bod standing in) we were always going to struggle to contain the opposition. Apparently bowling into the wind and up the hill was a struggle, too! Ex-Preston stalwart, Dave Wilson, obviously realised this and bagged the easier end. His first 9 overs cost just 12 runs. Into the wind, however, Fleming could not keep it straight so Bowmer was drafted in. The pressure grew on the batsmen and the openers started to have a go, with mixed success. Runs were hard to come by. Eventually, after 18 overs, the first wicket fell with the score on 57. The darkening sky suggested that the run rate may be important and Preston were well behind this rate.

Then, as the sky cleared, the wind dropped and Norton ran out of bowling, Fleming came back on bowling a variety of slow stuff and started to take wickets, Bull, the remaining opener, started to open up and the run rate increased. Preston looked in control with only 42 needed off the last 10. On Bull's departure, however, Norton gained new hope and wickets continued to fall with Fleming finishing with 4-33. 20 were needed off the last 4 overs and, with 5 wickets left, it was still advantage to Preston.

With 2 overs to go 5 were required with 3 wickets left. Fleming and Bowmer were bowled out; Wilson, Boony and Allen were all injured. In a piece of inspirational captaincy the (injured) skipper Allen decided to bowl one over himself. It was to be all or nothing. Unusually, he bowled 6 straight ones, they got 2 runs and we got one crucial wicket. The last over arrived with 3 needed to win, 2 wickets left, and no-one to bowl. There was only one option left. The hamstrung Wilson was forced to bowl off 5 paces. First there was one run; then one wicket. The opposing (also injured) skipper came in at number 11. One more run was taken and the scores were tied with one ball left. The ball went 3 yards. Everyone ran and Bod threw the wicket down for a run out.

This amazing match was tied. As the umpire - a real one - said, we got away with it. We had the worst of the conditions - but what a game and what a tea!

See photos from the match.

Thursday, May 24th

Gawcott managed 119 for 7 from their 20 overs and we knocked the runs off in 17 overs and 2 balls for the loss of just 3 wickets. The match started badly for us with our stike bowler, Matt Donger, being delayed. Once he arrived, however, he was just too quick and too accurate for a number of the opposition batsmen (even though not bowling at full pace). He was well supported by the rest of the attack, all of whom were backed up by some good fielding. To complete Donger's evening (and Gawcott's misery) he went in at number 4 and knocked off a rapid half century, falling just as the scores were level. He was well supported by an ever more accomplished looking Phil Tonkinson who carried his bat for 41 not out. Greens Norton won by 7 wickets.

Saturday, May 26th

GNCC lost the toss, and were put into bat. After losing both openers (Tonkinson & Zernike) fairly cheaply - 7 & 10 respectively, a steady partnership was beginning to form between Bodily & Robinson, before Bod was caught out. Vice-captain and skipper-for-the-day. Pete Allen, then joined Robinson and in a moment of madness caused Dave to be run out when going well - he was on 24 at the time, and did not appear to be in any trouble at all! With this playing on Allen's mind, he chipped one to mid on - clearly captaincy affecting his batting! After a flutter of wickets, Ollie Drage and Dave Wilson pushed the run rate up, with Wilson blasting his way to be top scorer on 39 Not out, although he was unable to take to the field after seriously pulling the hamstring that he had tweaked the week before!

During the tea interval, the rain started to come down, but not too badly. Fleming & Bodily opened the bowling and kept things very tight, which was needed in a match that was likely to end on run rate. After 11 overs the rain came down more heavily, and it was agreed that a rain interval would take place. After some deliberation about the amount of overs lost, it was agreed that Finmere would require 126 from 33 overs. Only another 11 overs were able to be played, and at the 18 over mark, GNCC looked in the driving seat. A few big overs for Finmere, however, meant that at 22 overs and with no more play possible, Finmere would take the 20 points by virtue of a very slightly higher run rate - 3.86 compared to GNCC's 3.78. 2 runs less and GNCC would have won.

Saturday, June 2nd

On a damp wicket, the toss was going to be crucial and, yet again, GNCC failed to win the toss and were put into bat.

Byfield bowled well with a team consisting of 8 teenagers. The other 3 being adults, the only apparent reason for their inclusion was to transport the team to Greens Norton! With wickets tumbling at regular intervals, mainly through poor shot selection, GNCC scraped to 82 all out from around 30 overs. The team's top scorers were Pete Allen (22 not out), D Robinson (19) and extras (18). All three of these contributors are enjoying a rich vein of form.

Byfield then had around 10 overs to face before tea. Batting still proved difficult, with runs hard to come by and, at tea, Byfield had reached around 30. It then took until around the 30 over mark before Finmere had finally overhauled the small total they had been set, and an early start in the pub ensued.

Thursday, June 7th

Having wished for a close, but winning, margin against our midweek Cup opponents, things turned out nothing like that. Quite frankly, and with apologies to the Preston players, we stuffed 'em.. We lost the toss and were asked to field (which we would have done anyway) and easily restricted Preston to 102 for 8. Matt Donger took an amazing two wickets for seven runs from his permitted five overs. He was just too hot for the opposition.

In reply we knocked the runs off in less than fourteen overs with a lot of us spending time in the field beyond the boundary retrieving the ball! Craig Burger starred with a rapid and stylish 63. He was supported by Pete Allen with 17 and Andre Bodily with 16 not out. The fact that we only won by 6 wickets was due to two quick wickets falling in two balls in the penultimate over. Even this could not take the gloss off an excellent victory. Well done boys!

Saturday, June 9th

Well, what a match. It was yet another humid day at Hinton and our skipper, Adam Holton, won the toss and elected to field. This was, it is fair to say, a decision which puzzled a few of the team given how warm it was. Anyway, we took the field and restricted Hinton to 36 for 3 from the first 16 overs. Now ... Mr. Turvey. For all his undoubted skill and the fact that he has carried the Hinton side on numerous occasions he does have a tendency to hit the ball in the air early in his innings. After a conversation between your correspondent and the captain, skipper Holton decided to place himself at short cover. Within the over he had taken a stunning, one-handed reflex catch to dismiss Turvey off a ball from our best bowler, Chris Bowmer. Our relief was palpable! He has probably scored more runs against us than any other player in the league. Our relief, however, was short-lived because Andy Stevens and, shortly after, skipper Will Peel-Yates came to the crease and took our change bowling apart. They put on 99 from 16 overs during this period. They went on to complete a century partnership until our openers, Bowmer and Fleming, took one of their wickets apiece. Bowmer ended on 3 for 29 whilst Fleming took 3 for 45. Fleming looks to be improving all the time. Opening the bowling regularly clearly helps him. The main negative note should be a sound raspberry to all of our fielders who responded abysmally to the demands of the situation and gave Stevens, in particular, at least 5 boundaries he should not have had!

In reply, and after a very warm tea interval, our opening batsmen, Pete Allen and Mike Bristow started slowly but surely.They put together a stand of 80, taking 23 overs to do this. Allen was the dominant partner and, just as he was beginning to show some aggression avoided buying a jug by skying one to mid off for a score of 49. Meanwhile, new boy, Mike Bristow, felt his way to 30 with, it is fair to say, a good deal of playing and missing. It is always enjoyable to watch the opposition fielders when this happens because they get so frustrated. By the time he eventually fell in the 31st over the score had risen to 116 - mainly due, it should be said, to the appearance at the crease of Andre Bodily. He did his usual thing; he stuck out his chest and hit the ball very hard and very far. When in this mood, he is very difficult to bowl to (as the Hinton change bowlers found out). He was joined by the fast-improving wicketkeeper-batsman, Dave Robinson, who looks more and more like a cricketer (at last). He smashed an unbeaten 39 - almost catching up "Bod" who finished on 44 not out. These two accelerated just when they need to and it was a tremendous sight to watch (even for your correspondent, who sat with his pads on for all 38 overs). All in all it was a cracking win and a hugely satisfying one to boot. Well done lads.

See photos of the action.

Saturday, July 7th.

After a month since our last full game the return match against Preston Bissett was welcome, sunny and warm but only after a heavy shower just before the start to keep us on our toes.

The toss was lost, sidestepped by the skipper as usual and we were put in to bat. Allen and Taylor opened after some debate with openers back from the wilderness and the start was solid and reasonably straightforward. Taylor had a swing at a wide one and did his back so badly he had to retire hurt. This brought in Tonkinson and the innings moved serenely on. The first wicket to fall was Allen for an excellent 55 but Tonkinson (24) went shortly after but at 106 for 2 a good base was laid, it rather fell apart from there. Bowmer in early made a composed 26 but the tail folded again with Norton gifting the inaccurate Valhambria 7-56. Norton 176 for 9 off their 40, failing to use them well with only 51 off the last 10.

The Preston innings started slowly with an early wicket to Fleming and tight bowling saw the pressure rise, a run out and another Fleming wicket saw the entry of Valhambria and Da Silva, this and the first bowling changes saw an acceleration with Preston hitting 30 overs at the same score as Norton although with less wickets in hand. The fall of Da Silva by the returning Fleming (3-60) increased the pressure being exerted on the batsmen by the excellent Davidson, but the pressure was on the Norton fielding too as they failed to cope with the uneven outfield, dropping catches and letting boundaries through their legs.

Once Valhambria was out, brilliantly caught by Davidson, the match was very delicately poised and was clearly going to be close with 40 required off the last 8 overs. Bodily and Davidson continued to put on the pressure but with Bowmer in reserve Norton were in a good position, on his return Bowmer (0-25) pulled up with cramp and it was back to Bodily (3-32).In an astonishing over with 3 to go Norton put down 4 catches off Davidson (1-43) and the pressure was clearly there as Bryant was run out and Preston were left with their back up fielder 9 year old Goody coming in at no 11 for the last over with 7 required. Scrambled runs saw 3 needed off the last ball. This was skied over point with Bodily realising that they would only get one he returned the ball to the keeper to effect the run out and Norton had won by 1 run. It was all too close for comfort against the league's bottom team.

Saturday, July 14th

The traditional local derby against Silverstone was a rather tetchy affair this year. It started badly with the wicket, wet at one end and dry the other. It had apparently been watered the night before and the rain in the night was heavy - a major error from the groundsman in a wet year.

The skipper won the toss and we elected to field, seemed a decent choice on a dry windy day. All went well with control in the bowling and the initial frustrations led to the first wicket early, bringing in Andy Payne our traditional tormentor. Control however continued and the pressure mounted with Fleming (3-42) taking the wickets with some fabulous help from Bodily with a flying catch in the gully. Payne (29) pushed the score along in little trouble then came bowling changes. The introduction of Bodily (3-9) and Davidson (3-3) saw a collapse with Silverstone dismissed for 80, 15 overs before tea.

Norton's confidence was dented before tea with very tight bowling from the Silverstone opening pair, Jackson and White, Tonkinson went early and Boonie (O'Connor) went before tea trying to force some runs but at 21-2 at tea Norton were well placed. Then saw the Norton collapse with wickets immediately after tea. At the same time the marginal Silverstone banter turned nasty and what happened after was not worth repeating. Norton slipped to 54 all out amid unpleasant scenes, hopefully never to be repeated.

A defeat snatched from a position where we should have won together with a real problem with attitude and behaviour in the opposition means that next week can only be better.

Saturday, July 28th

The weather for the clash with Finmere was brilliant - sunny if not really warm - but no rain! A huge relief all round. When we inspected the Finmere pitch it seemed reasonably dry and flat (a contrast to our own which was still very wet). Nevertheless on winning the toss we elected to bowl as the square clearly remained wet underneath. The pitch was slow as was the Finmere start an early wicket for Bowmer (1-19) and a couple of wides for 5 from Fleming saw Finmere race to 43-1 off 10 overs. Then on came Taylor. Finmere were transfixed by his mixture of floaty seamers and seemed totally unable to hit the ball off the square. Another 15 overs passed with the addition of only 32 runs and one run out courtesy of great work from Fleming and then frustration set in. Reeves (14) pulled the ball straight to midwicket for Taylor's first victim to be followed by 4 more in quick succession to give Taylor 5-19. Finmere subsided from 87-2 to 110 all out. The only real excitement came at the end of Taylor's 12 overs, the end of Bodilys really tight spell with a wicket (1-27) and the entry into the attack of Dan Webster with 2-13 off an exciting 2.3 overs.

Finmere's attack this year cannot be said to be fearsome and Norton started with immense confidence (probably misplaced given the batting against Silverstone) We were, perhaps, too casual as evidenced by the early wicket of Bristow (2) who was totally unable to deal with both bowling and wicket so slow. Allen (14) started brightly with some great timing but fell to a big inswinger from the impressive Chalcraft (3-28). Taylor and O'Connor always looked comfortable and the target grew closer. Our 60 for 3 off 20 overs was just over the required run rate as the clouds closed in. The fall of Taylor (15) and Bodily for only 3 brought back some nerves and Robinson looked good before hitting the ball to the one fielder who could catch for 14.

Still at 91-5 with 12 overs left this should have been no problem. Bowmer came in and defended confidently with the idea that Boonie would get the required runs. Having hit one four and with only 8 required Boonie went for the quick finish only to be bowled to be followed 4 runs later by skipper Holton and Ivor Gardner. Bowmer, at the non striker's end, looked on nervously as Fleming came in on the back of 4 golden ducks with Webster next in after a first baller at Silverstone. Amazingly Fleming hit his first ball for 4 through the covers and it was all over - a win by 2 wickets but only just!

Saturday, August 4th

The second dry Saturday in a row - yes, it suprised us, too - saw us visit Byfield with a weakened batting line up - caused by too many weddings and holidays in the season. Stand-in skipper Bowmer won the toss and took the safety-first route and inserted the opposition in the hope of a few quick wickets. A few, quick runs later and this looked like a poor decision. Gradually,with a couple of wickets for Bowmer, the run rate was brought back under control. Although the wicket was hard and dry, there was some movement and batting looked difficult. Bowmer bowled right through (2-35) constantly looking dangerous and at 110-2 at 30 overs it looked closely balanced.

At that point Byfield stepped on the gas and took the remaining bowling to task. Grocott with 147 n.o. was the star - being able to place the ball wherever he wanted. Byfield scored 120 off the last 10 overs. They got to 230 for 2 despite our best efforts, with no catches dropped, decent fielding and bowling that looked fine. We have to say that this was just down to good batting. It must be said, however, that fair play was a distant relative as Grocott failed to walk on an inside edge to the keeper when he had only 25. On these margins are games won and lost.

The Norton innings started well with Neil Taylor (55) dominating and Mike Bristow unlucky as he just failed to negotiate a quick bouncer from Fox (2-5). There was a slight glove which could easily have been given not out. Once Taylor went at 79-2, the tail was exposed and, despite Robinsons best shepherding efforts, we subsided to 139 all out. In the case of Davidson the subsidence was more like an explosion, as his 25 included an enormous 6 and took us to another batting point.

On paper it looks like a bad defeat; but the performance was decent and we would have remained in the hunt with a better batting side.

Saturday, August 11th

The middle of August and Greens Norton are still fielding a pretty strong team - Chris Bowmer and Dave Wilson are not available this week (although rumours abound that Wilson will be back from injury before the season ends). A strong batting line up and the whole team know that the early dismissal of Paul Turvey could have a great influence on the outcome of this week's match. Mike Bristow's wife makes her debut doing the teas, while Dave Robinson stands in as captain (Adam Holton is at another wedding!). It is a glorious summer day as the Greens Norton yet again lose the toss. Hinton choose to bat first and Simon Fleming and Neil Taylor are bounding in. Chris Bowmer and Adam Holton have done a sterling job on the wicket and Hinton start off very positively taking 50 from the first ten overs. The skipper has a master plan and using "Sinbad" (Simon Horley) to change Simon's bowling end, and the batsmen are in a bit of trouble.

Norton allow a couple of sharp(`ish) chances to go down and suddenly Hinton are in the ascendancy - Turvey doesn't give many chances normally and the home side will rue putting him down twice (or was it three times - sharp chances admittedly). Neil Taylor does make a break through and Hinton start to slow up a bit. The lack of wickets is a worry for Norton and eventually despite some tight bowling by Andre Bodily and continued sterling efforts from Neil Taylor and Simon Fleming (also of note is a promising debut form Mike's mate Chris who bowls real leg spin!!) Hinton close at 202 for 3 with Paul Turvey not out on 133.

After a very enjoyable tea (Mrs Bristow is selected without question for the remainder of the season and the next two seasons!!) Norton go out to try to post a competitive total at least - defeat to Hinton could drag Norton back into the relegation battle. Horley and Phil Tonkinson open up sand start well. A dodgy lbw against Tonkinson (full toss on middle stump!) sets Norton back but they recover well with Neil Taylor striking the ball well, followed by Mike Bristow. Norton are ahead of the run rate but the fall of wickets is a worry. At 100 for 4 or so Norton need about six an over to get to the target but Andre Bodily arrives at the crease in fine fettle and is soon into his stride. The fifth wicket falls and Cliff Davidson arrives at the crease, the home side still needing six an over. A few more hefty blows seems to put victory in sight but Andre falls to allow Chris (Mike's mate) to join Cliff Davidson who take Norton close to the target - only fourteen needed with three wickets in hand, off three overs but then Davidson misses a straight one and things get difficult. Ollie Drage misses out again with the bat and Daniel Webster comes in as last man but with his cruciate ligaments strained he cannot hit the ball (that what he said!). Norton fall six runs short - all out for 196.

A cracking game of cricket, played on a super wicket in the right spirit; and everyone goes to the pub for half or two - who says village cricket is boring?

Come on Norton - a couple more wins and we are safe!

Saturday, August 18th

Match versus Hanslope abandoned after 10 overs and 3 balls.

Saturday, August 25th

We arrived at Wootton's new ground. Fortunately for them, and sadly for us their new facilities rather put ours in the shade. Mind you, after a very lukewarm reception, we all felt that we could offer a lesson in how to host a visiting team. It is safe to say we were less than impressed with some aspects of our visit to the metropolis of Northampton.

On a gorgeous sunny day, the Wootton skipper won the toss and unaccountably put us in to bat. The wicket looked like it might offer the bowlers some help due simply to the amount of grass left on it. As it turned out all the grass did was grip the ball and encourage it to sit up to be hit. For once, Norton duly obliged. After losing in-form opener Allen to the only good ball of the first 5 overs, Bristow and Lewis managed to put together a decent partnership. Despite becoming a little becalmed in the middle of the innings, they still put on 123 for the second wicket before Bristow (a very welcome addition to the playing ranks) chipped one to mid-wicket. Lewis followed shortly after. Neither Bristow nor Lewis had looked in any trouble until then with Bristow, in particular, scoring all around the wicket. (The opposition were heard to grumble about Lewis's predominance of leg-side scoring shots but, as Bristow remarked during the stand "Why don't they bowl it on the off stump then?") Anyway it was left to the big guns of Bodily and O'Connor to get us back on track. They did this with a vengeance, putting on over 70 in next to no time. Skipper Holton came in for a brief cameo during which he neglected to face a ball and we finished on the rather good score of 241 for 4 (or so we thought)!

After a somewhat grudgingly offered tea by the home side and a thoroughly ill-mannered close to our innings, they began to at least show that they could play once they had bats in their hands. They accumulated steadily, helped in no small measure by opener Allen being dropped by his Norton namesake twice. We managed to make a habit of this and surrendered the initiative to Wootton by virtue of some defensive field placings which, sadly, failed to contain the home batsmen. Mind you we did drop at least 5 chances, including the highest shot many of us had seen. Unfortunately, Lewis rather boltted his copybook (after a good day with the bat) by being unfortunate enough to be the one underneath this monster. He never looked like catching it and the only consolation was that Bates had already got his century by then. Bates played a superb innings and probably deserved to be on the winning side. He was well supported by Eason who, although less fluent and more prone to offer chances, stayed with him and saw them home with 5 overs to spare. The only players worthy of note when we were in the field were old faithful Bowmer who clean bowled two of their batsmen in quick succession to give us hope, albeit briefly, and Holton, who effected a superb run out from the long on boundary.

This week sees the return of the story in pictures.

Saturday, September 1st

The final day of the 2007 season saw us travel to Gawcott and Hilllsden. With both of us in the bottom four but safe from relegation the pressure was off but a close game seemed likely.

Norton won the toss and elected to bat on the back of a good score last week. This was totally against our normal practice. The start as so often this year saw Allen (26) and Bristow (29) confident and secure, taking the score to almost 50 once again. From there, however, the decline was rapid with the middle order giving it away to the spinner Griffiths (4-36). The score at 75 for 6 was nowhere near enough and Dave Wilson (19) in only his third game of the season managed to thump Norton to 124 all out. This never looked enough on a decent wicket and fast outfield.

The Gawcott reply started safely enough if slowly with 19 on the board after 7 overs. Then came Wilson, now loose, roaring in with the 'unplayable' ball of the day to remove the opener and Norton had a sniff of a chance. Bowmer, who was on notice that Wilson wanted his end, (I thought this was about cricket - Ed.) then removed a couple more courtesy of a good catch from Holton and a marginal LBW (the batsman claiming it hit his bat and the bowler happy it was his boot).

Having bowled Bowmer (12-2-27-2) out and with Davidson spinning his web of control at the other end, Wilson returned for the last throw of the dice as Gawcott crept slowly towards their target. With two more wickets Wilson kept Norton in the hunt but the injured Blackwell (19no) and Eilbeck (21) pushed the score forward until Wilson ran out of overs with Gawcott needing 26 off the last 4. A couple of lusty blows saw Gawcott score the winning runs off the last over and a game that could have gone either way confirming that Norton were well short of runs in the first innings not for the first time.

A good game to finish a season ruined by the weather. Here's to better weather next year. See the pics ....

Saturday, September 1st - the Barbecue

Thus is a story best told in pictures with no more than a few well-chose (and mostly true) words. Find it here.